Thursday, February 22, 2007

Mmmmm Festival...

The Festival experience was great, I must admit. Having a pass to come and go as I pleased, and being able to take photos right up front at the performances was fantastic. I’ve lived in Winnipeg my whole life and I had only really attended Festival during grade school a couple of times. Attending as a photographer, and an adult (not an adult photographer! eheh), gave me a whole new outlook and appreciation of the event.

My biggest initial challenge when shooting any event is always getting over my nerves about being in front of everyone. Once I block all that out and focus on what I’m doing, I’m fine. I loved shooting the bands, getting right up close - the performers often interacted with us in that they’d often pose for the camera. The downer was I usually wasn’t ready to get a great shot of them at that moment. The night time shots of performers was a huge challenge in terms of lighting, and I was contantly experimenting with colour balance. I basically had to shoot at 1600 ISO and I also had a tripod which I used as a monopod. I would use flash off and on also, just to see what I would get. I would love to have had a 70-200 mm, f/2,8 lens with an image stabilizer! I don’t have a 50 mm f/1.8 either, so I was someone limited equipment-wise. The result was a lot of blurry images, which often worked well for motion effect, but on the most part they just didn’t make the cut.

The Governor’s Ball was a unique experience. I enjoyed seeing the guests all decked out in their period costume. Although we could not stay long, I did my best with the time I had. I actually felt pretty comfortable going up to people when I could and getting their photos. It was unfortunate we could not stay longer.

During my second last shift, when I was mostly out in the cold, I actually found more time to do some “just for myself” shooting. I tried to get some neat effects with motion and star lights. I kept myself warm by sitting by the fires every once in a while...great idea at the time, but then I get home and discover I smell like a big ball of smoke.

My ratio of good to not-so-good shots? Well, probably 1:30...ish. Or maybe I’m being kind. A lot depended on where I was; I had less good shots at the night performances than I did at the CCFM.

Festival was a valuable experience. My shooting developed as time went on and I enjoyed the entertainment and food in the process! I’m glad for the experience.

HEH HO!

Nil, out.

No comments: